Who does Texas School for the Deaf serve?

TSD admits students who are 21 years of age or younger on September 1 of any school year, who are deaf or hard of hearing, and who may have one or more other disabilities.


Which students will be admitted to TSD?

A student will be admitted to TSD if the student meets the eligibility criteria according to Education Code 30.051 (a); (see Welcome to Admissions page) and seeks bilingual (ASL/English) educational services, on a day or residential basis.


Do you have a waiting list? 

TSD does not have a waiting list. As soon as we receive all required paperwork and have an opportunity to review it, we set up an admission ARD at the earliest possible date. Please keep in mind that the last 3 weeks in July most of our staff are not on campus on a daily basis, so please get all paperwork in before that time. 


What happens after TSD receives a completed application packet?

After TSD receives a completed application packet, the TSD Admissions Committee reviews it and shared the relevant parts with the Health Center, Instructional Programs, and the dorm (as applicable). Because it may take from one to four weeks to determine if the student meets our admissions criteria and then to schedule the ARD meeting, TSD encourages the applicant not to withdraw the student from the school where they are currently enrolled. TSD will send a written ARD notice to the applicant and the LEA. The admission process may take longer than four weeks if TSD is unable to secure all relevant records related to the student's admission. In this situation TSD will contact both the parent and the LEA to inform them of the admission status and what paperwork is pending (most often this is immunization records). 


After submitting the application for student admission, how can a parent or local school district speed up the admissions process?

The best way to expedite an admission is to ensure that all student records are submitted to the TSD Admissions Office: 512-462-5412


How old must my child be to be able to stay in the dorm? Will they have adult supervision?

A child must be 7 years old or entering first grade to be considered for residential services. TSD dorms are staffed by Residential Educators both day and night. The residential program is primarily for students who do not live close enough to commute daily (outside of the Austin and surrounding areas). Exceptions to this can be made by contacting the Director of Student Life at [email protected].


Which costs are the parent/student responsible for?

The student's education is basically at no cost to the parent; however the parent/student is responsible for the following:

  • Providing or purchasing the student's school supplies and PE uniforms.
  • Student medical treatment expenses
  • Providing the student a weekly allowance for personal items and entertainment
  • Providing student clothing and laundry machine costs.
  • ACCESS - because this program teaches adult living skills and budgeting a fee of $140 is due on or before the first day of class. A monthly fee of $60 is due the first school day of the month October through May.
  • The cost of t-shirts, sporting equipment, concessions, school photos, prom, senior trip, and graduation apparel (cap, gown, swag).


How often will the residential student return home?

All students will generally travel home on Friday and return to TSD on Sunday (refer to annual school calendar for exact dates). On some weekends the students may remain on campus for special events.


How can I get information on fees, supply lists, Parent/Student handbook information, dorm life and athletics?

Please contact individual departments links or phone/VP numbers listed below.


  • Early Learning Center: 512-462-5422, (VP) 512-410-1638
  • Elementary Office: 512-462-5231, (VP) 512-410-1011
  • Middle School Office: 512-462-5491, (VP) 512-410-1017
  • High School Office: (VP) 512-410-1019
  • Career & Technical Education/Adult Curriculum for Community Employment & Social Skills (ACCESS) Office:  (VP) 512-410-1015
  • Athletics Office: (VP) 512-410-1073
  • Health Center: 512-462-5717, (VP) 512-410-1024


What happens when my child applies to Texas School for the Deaf from another state?


IDEA indicates that if a special education student moves from another state, the parents must reach out to their Local Education  Agency (home district) for services until the application to TSD is complete, reviewed, and the student has been accepted. They will conduct a transfer ARD and initiate services. This is also important if you wish to ask for transportation. Many schools will not provide transportation to a student that is not enrolled with them. 


If the FIE is from another state, all required components of the FIE should be addressed in the written report including an otological and audiological verifying the student is Deaf or Hard of Hearing. If the FIE is complete and current, the ARD committee may choose to use the report from the previous district and not test further. If records are not available and the school does not receive an updated FIE, the school psychologist will conduct a Review of Existing Evaluation Data (REED) to determine the need for a full evaluation.


These are the steps that TSD follows when a special education student applies from another school district in state or out of state:

    • The TSD registrar requests records from the previous school district including the most recent full and individual evaluation as soon as the application is received. 
    • Verify the student was receiving special education for Deaf/Hard of Hearing in the previous district
    • Determine eligibility to attend TSD
    • If  accepted, an admission ARD is scheduled.
    • Conduct Admission ARD meeting (transfer/annual)

If a student is accepted and enrolled at TSD, the school will place the student in the instructional courses based on information from records received for 30 school days until another ARD can be held. At this time new IEP goals and objectives and service minutes can be written and reviewed.


Students Who Withdraw from TSD

The TSD registrar is responsible for sending special education records to those schools requesting the information. This may be done through the electronic systems  (TREX) used within the state, or when necessary, providing paper copies. Parents may also request a copy to take to the new school themselves.